July 20 & 21, 2013: State Competition
AND A GOOD TIME WAS HAD BY ALL
THE ALASKA STATE BBQ 2013 CHAMPIONSHIPS ARE DONE AND THE RESULTS ARE IN, THE WEATHER WAS A LITLE UNCOOPERATIVE, BUT THIS IS ALASKA YOU JUST NEVER CAN TELL.
A GREAT BIG THANKS TO DODGE RAM, AT GENE’S CHRYSLER ( http://www.geneschrysler.com/ ) WHO’S HELP AND SPONSORSHIP HELPED TO MAKE THIS THE FINEST CHAMPIONSHIP TO DATE ( THANKS GENE’S
AND A REALLY REALLY BIG AKBBQA THANKS THE PIONEER PARK FOLKS FOR ALL OF THEIR SUPPORT AND THE USE OF THEIR PARK PERSONAL, BUILDINGS, AND GROUNDS (http://co.fairbanks.ak.us/pioneerpark/default.htm ), AND TO ALL OF THE PEOPLE WHO HELPED MAKE THIS EVENT POSSIBLE, ORGANIZERS, JUDGES , TABLE CAPTAINS, DATA ENTRY FOR THE SCORE KEEPING, AND THE VERY INPORTANT HELPERS THANKS ONE AND ALL, OH DID I MENTION THE 21 FANTASTIC BBQ TEAMS, SOME MIGHT GOOD BBQ
DUE TO TIME CONSTRAINTS GOVENOR PARNELL WAS UNABLE TO MAKE THE AWARD PRESENTATIONS, BUT OUR FAIRBANKS NOTRH STAR BOROUGH MAYOR HIS HONOR LUKE HOPKINS , STOOD IN AND DID ONE GREAT JOB HERE IS A VIDEO OF MAYOR HOPKINS READING A PROCLAMATION FROM GOVENOR PARNELL.
$1O,OOO.OO IN CASH AND AWARDS
PIONEER PARK, FAIRBANKS, AK
THE ALASKA BBQ ASSOCIATION .
IS PROUD TO ANNOUNCE THAT ON
JULY, 19th, 20th and 21st 2013
THE 9th AKBBQA ALASKA STATE BBQ CHAMPIONSHIP
SPONSOR BY DODGE RAM TRUCKS AT GENE’S CHRYSLER,DODGE,OF FAIRBANKS
GRAND CHAMPION: $2000.00 AND PLAQUE
AND INVITATION TO THE
2013 JACK DANIELS WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP INVITATIONAL BARBECUE
IN LYNCHBURG, TN
RESERVE GRAND CHAMPION: $1000.00 AND PLAQUE
CASH AWARD FOR ALL CATEGORIES WILL BE THE SAME,
FOR CHICKEN, RIBS, PORK BUTT, BRISKET, AND SAUCE
1St PLACE: CASH + PLAQUE
2ND PLACE: CASH + PLAQUE
3rd PLACE: CASH + PLAQUE
4TH PLACE: CASH + CERTIFICATE
5TH PLACE: CASH + CERTIFICATE
(THESE FIGURES ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE)
FRIDAY, JULY, 19th
KICKING OFF A VERY BUSY THREE DAYS
STARTING WITH THE
3rd QUARTER GENERAL MEMBERSHIP MEETING
AND POTLUCK DINNER
THE NOMINATION AND ELECTION FOR OPEN POSITIONS ON THE AKBBQA EXECUTIVE BOARD
FRIDAY, JULY, 19TH 2013
BEGINING AT 7:OOpm
AT THE CABIN DIRTECTLY BEHIND THE PAVILLION BLDG
3RD QUARTER GENERAL MEMBERSHIP MEETING
AKBBQA OPEN SEATS EXECUTIVE BOARD NOMINATIONS
SWEARING IN OF NEW OFFICERS
COOKING TEAMS MAY NOW START SETTING UP FOR THE COMPETITION
SATURDAY, JULY 20TH 2013 TURN-IN TIMES
SEAFOOD, STEAK, AND DESERT COMPETITION
MEAT INSPECTIONS STARTING AT 7a.m.
9am: COOKS MEETING
8:15am: JUDGES AND TABLE CAPTAINS PLEASE REPORT TO JUDGING AREA
WITH THE EXECPTION OF SEA FOOD, STEAK AND DESERT TURH-INS WILL BE AT THE CABIN DIRECTLY BEHIND THE PAVILLION BLDG.
12:30pm: SEAFOOD JUDGING BEGINS
3:00pm: STEAK TURN-INS BEGIN
5:00pm: DESERT TUTN-INS BEGIN
COMPETION RESULTS WILL BE ANNOUNCED AT THE AWARDS CEREMONY ON JULY 21ST AT
SUNDAY, JULY 21st 2013 TURN-IN TIMES
ALL TURN-INS WILL BE AT THE CABIN DIRECTLY
BEHIND THE PAVILLION BLDG.
8:15am: JUDGES AND TABLE CAPTAINS
PLEASE REPORT TO THE CABIN
DIRECTLEY BEHIND THE PAVILLION BLDG.
10:00am: PORK BUTT
SATURDAY, JULY, 20TH
1. The recipe must consist of an Alaskan Seafood, be it freshwater or saltwater.
2. It must be prepared on site with no pre seasoning, spicing, marinating, etc..
3. The Judges come to the booth of the Participant for the tasting and presentation of the recipe and food dish.
4. The Participant my use any accompaniments to present their recipe in the best way they deem possible (lavish settings, adult beverage accompaniment is legal)
5. The Judges will be allotted 8 minutes with the Participant at a predetermined specific time so the Participant will know EXACTLY when the Judges will arrive. The judges will then complete their score card and move to the next Participant.
6. Judging is as follows:
a. 50% taste
b. 25% visual presentation and appeal
c. 25% recipe creativity, thoroughness and cooking instructions
7. The Host will read the recipe to the Judges and questions from the Judges and the Host to the Participant may be asked.
8. The Participant grants the Alaska Barbecue Association ownership and exclusive rights to the recipe and signs a copy of this set of rules.
Alaska State Steak Competition Rules
Contestants in the State of Alaska BBQ Steak Competition must follow these guidelines. Any registered team who has signed up for this event will be eligible to participate. Please pre-register
1. The recipe must consist of a BEEF STEAK ONLY.
2. The steak must be able to provide at least one bite for each of 6 Judges
3. The steak must be prepared on site with no pre seasoning, spicing, or marinating, Etc.
prior to the start of the competition on the morning of 07/20/2013
4. The Participant will present their Steak for tasting to the Judges at a designated spot
for tasting; The Judging area will be announced at the Cooks Meeting.
5. The Participant may cook their Steak in any and with any accompaniments and
and present their Steak the best way they deem possible. For Example: Box,
Serving Tray, Cutting Board, Plate< etc. …Garnish is OK.
6. There will be a 5 minute increment between Team Presentations. Participants will
be given an exact presentation time by the Head Judge or his Delegate.
7. Scoring is based on the 0-9 scoring system and based totally on the bite the Judge
Takes and records his score on.
8. Judges will be free to ask Questions, such as type of Steak, Seasoning, how long
it was cooked for, etc.
AND A NEW CATEGORY
Alaska State Dessert Competition Rules
1.Contestants in the State of Alaska BBQ Dessert Competition must follow these guidelines. Any registered team who has signed up for this event will be eligible to participate. Please pre-register.
Dessert entries must be completely prepared on-site.
2, The recipe is required to be turned in with your entry. The Participant grants the AKBBQA ownership and rights to the recipe.
3 ,The Participant may present their dessert the best way they deem possible. For example: Box, serving tray, plate, crystal bowl, etc…
4. Turn in time will be 5pm on Saturday 7/20 which means entries will be accepted from 4:55 PM to 5:05 PM.
Participants will be asked to deliver their prepared dessert entry in the numbered container to the designated drop off area at the judge’s building. NOTE: Teams may choose to use their own service piece for their dessert entry, but each dessert entry must be accompanied by the number from the foam container (number the head judge assigns you). AKBBQA is not responsible for returning serving pieces to teams. Please be prompt in picking it up from the judge’s building after the event.
5. Only contest organizers will know the identity of each dessert entry and will be treated as “double blind”.
Desserts will be based on three general categories: Presentation / Appearance, Taste and Creativity using the 1 to 9, with 1 being the lowest and 9 being the highest, judging system.
COMPETITION RULES & GUIDELIES
CLICK THE ABOVE LINK
SUNDAY, JULY 21st
THE 2013 ALASKA STATE BBQ CHAMPIONSHIP
CASH AND AWARDS